Recipe inspired by our favorite "Canner" Marisa McClellan
This pesto is perfect with Storico Fresco’s pasta, or stirred into a warm salad of quinoa and roasted vegetables!
Makes: 1 half pint Jar
• 8 oz garlic scapes (2 to 3 bunches) from Hickory Hill Farm
• 1 cup packed arugula leaves from Woodland Gardens
• 1/2 cup toasted pecans from Moore Farms and Friends
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or cheddar from Decimal Place Farm
• 1/4 cup sunflower seed oil, plus more as needed from Oliver Farm
• French Picnic salt blend from Beautiful Briny Sea and pepper to taste
1. Chop the garlic scapes into 1-inch lengths and combine them with the arugula leaves, toasted nuts, and cheese in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until a paste begins to form. Remove the lid and scrape down the bowl, if necessary. Once you’ve gotten to a chunky paste, slowly stream in the ¼ cup of olive oil with the motor running and process until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning to taste.
2. Pack the pesto into a half pint jar (if you are freezing it, try dividing it between 2 quarter-pint jars). Cover with a think layer of oil (it keeps out the oxygen and prevents the top of the pesto from browning) and either refrigerate or freeze. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a week, or in the freezer for up to a year!