1 cup Steel cut oats, rinsed
4 cups mushroom stock
2 cups wild mushrooms, sautéed
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup Non-fat dry milk solids
2 tablespoons sugar
For the oats
1. Bring mushroom stock to a boil in a medium stock pot.
2. Add a good pinch of salt and whisk in oats.
3. Bing to a boil and skim off any impurities that rise to the surface.
4. Reduce the oats to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients.
5. Simmer 1 hour stirring often until the mixture has thickened to saturate.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the buttermilk
1. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and reduce until light golden brown and thickened. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
1. Place 1/2 cup of oatmeal in a bowl and drizzle with the caramelized buttermilk.
2. Top with a fresh seasonal raw vegetable salad from your farmers market and dress with lemon juice and olive oil.
Serves: 4 to 6